Likérka Stock, Plzeň-Božkov
Only 25 of 67 labels are shown. Underplayed labels are variations with minor differences.
Stock Plzen - Bozkov|
Jan Becher, Karlovy Vary|
Západočeské lihovary a konzervárny, Horšovský týn
Západočeské lihovary a konzervárny, Sušice
The history of the biggest Czech liqueur producer Stock Plzen - Bozkovs started in the Italian port of Terst that then belonged to the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Here in 1884, Lionello Stock established Camis & Stock Company that supplied its products across the territory of the entire Empire. The company's core product was cognac that was able to compete even with French products. The fast growing popularity was supported by the fact that the product was labeled 'Medicinal' due to its high quality. In the Twenties, Camis & Stock was one of the biggest companies of its kind in Europe.
After the end of the First World War and the Empire collapsed, the former unified 'domestic' market split into several foreign markets protected by custom duties, quotas and other barriers. Therefore, Lionello Stock decided to establish subsidiaries in individual countries of the former Austria-Hungary.
In 1920, Lionello Stock purchased an existing liqueur plant in Bozkov and established his own branch named Stock Cognac Medicinal. Initially, the product was transported from Terst and just bottled here. The transport of supplies to the railroad was provided by a horse-dray and for personal transport, the Bozkov company owned a carriage. The company had approximately 15 manual workers, 4 administrative workers, one manager and one director. Gradually, the Terst deliveries stopped and the Bozkov company started to work on its own. The company business called Stock Cognac Medicinal H. Planner Bozkov u Plzne grew and the quality of products attracted growing numbers of clients.
For a long time, the company's core product was cognac respectively brandy (since 1924). The bitter liqueur Fernet Stock was introduced in 1927.
Historical sources say that Fernet Stock is actually the result of tough competition. Lionello Stock wisely responded to competitors' actions and introduced a bitter spirit called Fernet Stock. In the beginning of the Thirties, he correctly determined the capabilities of radio and started to use it as an advertising medium.
The Lionello Stock's factory didn't have a simple existence. Notwithstanding the fact that the company reported magnificent economic results in 1929, the impact of the Crisis was devastating. In 1939, Nazis confiscated the factory as a Jewish property. After the end of the Second World War, the firm was in the custody of the State and in 1947, it went back to the hands of its Italian owner. But just for a short period - in 1948, the Bozkov liqueur factory was nationalized as were most private companies in Czechoslovakia. Within the so-called National Company, profits generated by the production of the high-quality spirits were used as subsidies for other, less profitable operations. This of course prohibited the company's investments for capacity expansion and for example Fernet Stock, whose popularity grew rapidly during the Sixties and Seventies, was a scarce product until the Nineties. After the overturn in the beginning of the Nineties, the Bozkov liqueur plant became an independent joint stock company investing all its profits to the production. This led to the rapid growth of Fernet Stock production. For example, between 1990 and 1997, the sales of Fernet Stock grew by 500% from 2.7 million liters to 12.5 million liters.
In 1993, the original owner Stock Trieste became the majority owner of the factory. Two years later, the liqueur plant was acquired by Eckes which is the biggest spirit and fruit juice producer in Europe.