French Guiana

Usine de Lamirande, Matoury

I have no labels:(


History

In 1924, Léon Perrier, Colonial Secretary, Guyana has attributed a quota of rum 150 hectoliters. Foreseeing the possibility of enrichment through this production, Eugene Gober (Mayor of Cayenne ), Jean- Charles Chanel ( appointed governor of Guiana in 1924 ) and Eugene Lautier ( MP Guyana elected in 1924) decided to s' together to create a central plant as the Caribbean. In 1925, they acquired the land on the site Lamirande, through the cotton company Gober, empty land all cane plantations. In 1926, they put pressure on the government to get a bigger quota : they obtained 700 hectoliters. In 1927, when construction of the plant, they founded the Society of General Guiana Countertops (new name of the House Nazaire and Michel company of import -export Gober ), a subsidiary of the sugar company and Agriculture of Guyana responsible for the importation of materials and equipment for the factory. In a second time, they amalgamated sugar company with the cotton company. In 1928, they coterent factory traded at the time or even it came into production. Gradually, it's imposed as a central plant, drawing has it all productions of smallholders and mobilizing itself for 150 hectares of cultivated land. On 4 January 1929, she founded his distillery ; in 1935, it ceased production of sugar. Faced with the fall in sugar and rum in 1934 and a deficit of labor to work, it took a credit to the Bank of Guyana and appealed to Caribbean workers. But in 1940, the two leaders of the Executive Board, André René Seban Khan and, of Jewish origin, were pursued by the Vichy government ; André Khan went underground and René Seban was stopped. Concurrently, the bank demanded immediate repayment of its loan. In 1942, the Bank carried contractor of the plant, it became the owner and gave a lease for 6 years al former foreman of the factory, G. Voluminie. Thereafter, it was bought by its direct competitor, George Provost, who made ​​it work until 1970.

Original French text

En 1924, Léon Perrier, ministre des colonies, attribua a la Guyane un contingentement de rhum de 150 hectolitres. Entrevoyant les possibilités d' enrichissement par le biais de cette production, Eugene Gober (maire de Cayenne), Jean-Charles Chanel (gouverneur de la Guyane nommé en 1924) et Eugene Lautier (député de la Guyane élu en 1924) déciderent de s' associer pour créer une usine centrale comme aux Antilles. En 1925, ils acquierent des terrains sur le site de Lamirande, par le biais de la Société Cotonniere de Gober, terrains vides de toutes plantations en canne. En 1926, ils firent pression sur le gouvernement pour obtenir un contingentement plus grand : ils obtinrent 700 hectolitres. En 1927, date de construction de l' usine, ils fonderent la Société des Comptoirs Généraux Guyanais (nouvelle dénomination de la Maison Nazaire et Michel, société d' import-export de Gober), filiale de la Société Sucriere et Agricole de la Guyane, chargée de l' importation des matériaux et du matériel pour l' usine. Dans un second temps, ils fusionnerent la Société Sucriere avec la Société Cotonniere. En 1928, ils coterent l' usine en bourse au moment meme ou elle entrait en production. Peu a peu, elle s' imposa comme une usine centrale, en attirant a elle toutes les productions des petits planteurs et en mobilisant pour elle seule 150 hectares de terres cultivées. Le 4 janvier 1929, elle créa sa rhumerie ; en 1935, elle cessa sa production de sucre. Face a la chute du cours du sucre et du rhum en 1934, et a un déficit de main-d' oeuvre, elle prît un crédit a la Banque de Guyane et fit appel aux travailleurs antillais. Mais, en 1940, les 2 dirigeants du Conseil d' administration, André Khan et René Seban, d' origine juive, furent poursuivis par le gouvernement de Vichy ; André Khan prit le maquis et René Seban fut arreté. Parallelement, la banque demanda le remboursement immédiat de son pret. En 1942, la Banque se porta adjudicataire de l' usine, elle en devint propriétaire et la donna a bail pour 6 ans a l' ancien contremaître de l' usine, G. Voluminie. Par la suite, elle fut rachetée par son concurrent direct, Georges Prévot, qui la fît fonctionner jusqu' en 1970.

[Source: Ministère de la culture, cit. 2005]


Search in text on the labels

(?) Advanced query
Parts of words (min 2 characters) or whole words Find whole words instead of their parts (?)

Last modified: October 9, 2005 Created by Petr Hloušek
Hlouškovi  
Peter's Rum Labels

English Česky Deutsch/

TOPlist
Since 1997

 

 

Page themes - text from labels: