Yukon Liquor Corporation
Only 1 of 3 labels are shown. Underplayed labels are variations with minor differences.
Yukon Liquor Corporation|
After two years of the control system in the Yukon Territory, the sale of beer glass was approved in the early 1920's. Because of the very small population licensing was confined to a few settlements with certain discretionary authority held by the Commissioner in more remote areas.
In the early days, the Liquor Vendors in Dawson City and Mayo worked side by side with the Government Agents. As the Yukon Population increased and became less transient, the Agent's duties were combined with the vendors giving them Territorial Agent status. By 1948, there were government liquor stores in Dawson City, Mayo & Whitehorse. In 1954, Haines Junction was operating and in 1958 Watson Lake. By the late 1960's a sixth store was opened in Faro to serve the needs of the people flooding into the community in hopes of finding work at the new lead-zinc mine.
Originally, the Liquor Control Board fell under the jurisdiction of the Yukon Legislative Assembly headed by the Commissioner of the Yukon Territory. The Director of the Liquor Control Board administered the day to day operations. The 1970's saw the election of the first partisan government and on April 1, 1977, the Yukon Liquor Corporation came into existence as a result of amendments to the Liquor Act. The separation as a corporate entity resulted in increased responsibilities and full accountability in the areas of finance and accounting. The Director was redesignated to General Manager, who was also a Deputy Head, and considered to be the Chief Executive Officer for the Yukon Liquor Corporation. The General Manager title was later changed to President. The President was charged with the general business of the Corporation, and the administration of the Act under the general direction of the Liquor Board. A five member discretionary Board was appointed with authority to approve license applications and rule on hearings of appeal on license suspensions.
Six liquor stores and central warehousing facilities in Whitehorse, now service the requirements of more than three hundred licenses as well as permit holders, and the general public.
The Corporation operates under the mandate that it shall regulate the purchase, import, storage, distribution, and sale of all alcoholic beverages within the Yukon, under the requirements of the Liquor Act and Regulations. It also provides that the Corporation conducts its business in a socially responsible manner.
It is this commitment to social responsibility that has moved the Corporation to a position where it not only offers low and non-alcoholic alternatives but assumes partial responsibility for the education of purchasers and consumers with reference to the moral and legal obligations associated with alcohol service and consumption.
In May 1991, the Corporation preceded the rest of the nation by implementing a program which required that warning labels be applied to all wine, sprit and packaged liquor products sold at any of the Territorial liquor stores. These brightly coloured stickers are intended to bring attention to the potential risks of drinking while pregnant.
The Corporation has historically recognized and maintained its responsibility to the environment. A deposit refund system encouraged maximum return of beer bottles and cans. In 1984, the Corporation installed a densifying unit to compact and process aluminum cans for shipment to recycling depots in Southern Canada. Effective April 1, 1987 the deposit refund system was expanded to include wine and spirit containers.
Our continuing commitment to recycling initiatives is further substantiated by support of the Recycling Centre and the Yukon Conservation Strategy. With the exception of domestic beer bottles which are returned directly to a brewery distribution outlet in Southern Canada, empty glass, aluminum and cardboard containers are consolidated at the Central Warehouse for furtherance to the Recycling Centre in Whitehorse.