|Unser Land||Sitemap||Neuigkeiten||Bücher||Links||Über uns|
Nachfolgend sind die Firmen, von welchen ich Rumetiketten in meiner Sammlung habe.:
Chabert de Cogolin St. Hirst, Hatton Garden(1)
Grand Marigot Estate(0)
Macoucherie Estates / Shillingford Estates Ltd.(6)
Mr. Arthein Radjah Club(0)
Seekwee: A small factory for the production of sugar of a type operated by small farmers, once called peasant proprietors. The word comes from the French, Sucrier, a sugar-making factory. These small seekwees existed all over Dominica. Each comprised a crushing mill turned by cattle that was called a Moulin and a rack of three boilers or taeches, also known as cappas in which the sugar cane juice was boiled until it crystallized. When limes gained prominence in Dominican agriculture, the seekwees were easily adapted to crushing limes and boiling the juice in the taeches so as to concentrate it. Even so these sites were still called seekwees. By the 1960s most of them had collapsed through disuse and then during Hurricane David, 1979, the last surviving ones, which by then were once again being used for crushing cane to make visou, (cane juice) and illicit rum (mountain dew, wabio, zaid) were totally destroyed.
Taffia: An old French name for fermented cane juice used in the making of rum. The colour is a slightly cloudy brown. In the hills behind Capuchin flows the Taffia River, which was given this name by the French because the water, although quite clean, is always the colour of taffia. This is because it flows through volcanic clay that is part of the crater of the Morne Aux Diable volcano in an area called Soufriere. It appears on the earliest detailed map of the island by Thomas Jefferys, 1768, as 'Taffia or Rum River'. The Taffia River is the source of water for the village of Capuchin and it ends in a waterfall that cascades over a cliff directly into the sea. The track leading from Capuchin to Pennville crosses the river near Seaman Estate.
Tyne: The steam vessel RMS Tyne operated between the Leeward Islands and around the coast of Dominica from April 1891 to about 1906. It was chartered from the Royal Mail Steamship Company and was subsidized by the government of the Leeward Islands of which Dominica was at the time a member. Its regular inter-island schedule greatly facilitated the movement of labour and produce between the islands. At Dominica it took mail, goods and passengers around the island, anchoring off places such as Rosalie, Saint Sauveur, Marigot, Woodford Hill and Portsmouth to take on produce, mainly cocoa, lime juice and rum for onward shipment from Roseau. It did this coastal run until being replaced by the RMS Yare, which was reserved specifically for the Dominica coastal service.
Wabio: One of the words used to describe illicitly produced rum, also known as Mountain Dew or Zaid. Crushed sugar cane juice is fermented and distilled using basic paraphernalia of pipes, pots and glass 'demi-johns' to produce a raw rum that is sold and drunk without the license payments demanded by law.